Hallelujah! No more akonadi or semantic-desktop, here! Finally! =:^)

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sun Jul 31 16:17:21 BST 2011

I finally figured out what to replace akregator with, and was thus
finally able to unmerge (gentoo) the last of kdepim and set USE=-semantic-
desktop -raptor -redland and -virtuoso.  After a rebuild of the affected
packages, that allowed me to remove in addition to kmail, which I had
switched away from earlier, and a couple support packages for it...

akregator
kdepim-common-libs
kdepim-runtime
kdepim-icons
akonadi-server
nepomuk
redland
rasqual
raptor (two versions, 1.x and 2.x)
virtuoso-server
virtuoso-odbc
libiodbc
akonadi-console
shared-desktop-ontologies

I had a rather harder time finding a decent feed reader than I did a mail
client.  For mail, I reasonably quickly found claws-mail.  It has a feed-
reader plugin as well, but I didn't want to have the two running in the
same claws instance (I like separate apps for the separate tasks and
wanted somewhat different configs, as well) and claws-mail doesn't like
to run two separate instances.

But everything else either had huge dependencies (bringing in much of
gnome, for instance, or an entire java support structure), or was
text-based, and while I almost settled for that in the form of canto
(ncurses and python based), I didn't really want to, and ended up finding
a work-around.

I tried gwene.org too, feeds as news-posts (nntp), but that wasn't
working either, as I don't want an http/xml-message-parsing news client
for security and other reasons (I'm using pan now in part for that
reason), and both atom and rss feeds are xml-based, and come thru that
way on gwene.org.

I considered firefox feed extensions too -- I read that there's some
reasonably good ones in my research -- but wasn't too enthused about that
either, because what I really wanted was a separate feed-reader-client.

I tried sylpheed too, from which claws-mail forked, but I didn't like it
as well.

So then I decided to try harder to get a second instance of claws-mail
running, separate config, etc, as I rather liked its interface in
general, and hadn't found the feed plugin experience bad either, except
that I didn't want feeds and email combined.

I looked for a way to run separate instances in the documents.  Nothing.
Checked the command-line options, it had an option for an alternative
config, but that wouldn't let a second instance run at the same time.  I
tried a symlink with a different name, and while that gave me a different
window-class according to kwin, it still wouldn't let me run a second
instance -- trying would simply pull up the existing running instance.  A
differently named hardlink didn't work either.

Then it hit me!  I was already using a wrapper script to set a different
$HOME, so it'd use a different config, but $TMPDIR was still set to the
old value.  Sure enough, the process put a socket-file in $TMPDIR.
Setting that to something else in the wrapper, along with setting $HOME
to get the alternative config dir, *WORKED*!

So then I began setting up the alternate config in earnest.  I did have
to symlink ~/.mozilla into the new $HOME as well, so when I clicked a
link to launch firefox, it'd load my normal profile, but by this time I
was thinking in the right terms and spotted and fixed that issue quickly.

Finally, after exporting my feeds from akregator and importing them in
the claws-feed instance, figuring out expiration (which I hadn't needed
for mail so didn't know how to handle in claws-mail, yet), and getting
everything setup and working to my satisfaction, it was time to emerge
--depclean, kill USE flags, revdep-rebuild as necessary, depclean some
more, kill a few more USE flags...  until I finally had all that heavy
semantic-desktop bloat off my system!

What a relief! =:^)  I've been working on this (including the kmail
replacement and unmerge the preceeded the akregator stuff) for about a
week now, perhaps 10 days, and it's finally done and my system free of
all that stuff slowing it down to no benefit to me! =:^)

I expect I'll like kde4 even more now, without all that dead weight
slowing things down and causing problems! =:^)