4.6.95 (4.7-rc2)

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Fri Jul 22 09:41:11 BST 2011

Duncan posted on Tue, 12 Jul 2011 12:48:52 +0000 as excerpted:

> Seems kde4 is now stable enough I can start trying the pre-releases.  I
> decided to start cautiously with 4.7, and only installed the last rc
> before full release later this month.

WOW!  Just noticed a *BIG* change in window rules (I guess I hadn't tried
editing them with 4.6.95/4.7-rc2 yet).

I /think/ it's quite for the better, but I was used to the old way and
thus will have to explore and digest and get used to the changes before I
decide for sure.

They've reduced the number of tabs and changed the option layout and
wording, combining the first two tabs that configured the window matching
into one and making the descriptions clearer.  Each tab layout has
similar functionality grouped for clarity (example, horizontal and vertial
maximized options are grouped together), and the options (like
maximization) that used to have two checkboxes, one to the left for
activation and one to the right controlling the boolean (maximized or not
in this example), now have what used to be a single checkbox for the
boolean, now set out as two radio-buttons labeled yes and no.  That's FAR
more intuitive and clear than the 4.6 and previous layout.

The two ignore/strictly-obey "geometry" options now have tooltips
explaining what they actually do, for anyone not familiar with
traditional X geometry (I'm familiar with the basic idea, but didn't
understand the nuances of how these options affected it).

There's also a new "block compositing" option, a nice addition to the per-
window rules indeed. =:^)

Oh, and individual window grouping rules can now be configured here, as
well. =:^)

I actually use the window rules feature pretty heavily, already having
quite a number of specific app and/or window rules setup.  So I was quite
used to the old layout and it'll take me some time to get used to the new
one, indeed.  But already it looks like it should be far easier to
understand initially, the new layout and clearer options look nice,
reducing the two window matching tabs to one is a VERY good idea, and I
agree, this was the right place to put the window grouping and composite-
block options.

So anyone running 4.7-rc2, if you've use this feature and haven't checked
it out on 4.7 yet, try it. =:^)  And anyone not running the 4.7
prereleases, if you use this feature, be sure and check it when you get
4.7 installed.  It will indeed take some getting used to if you were
familiar with the old layout, but I'm already quite warming to the
changes, here.  =:^)

Now to go play with it some more! =:^)