KDEPIM 4.6 prob^Wimpressions

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 21 17:12:22 BST 2011

On Thursday, July 21, 2011 03:07:33 PM Alex Schuster wrote:
> I'm using GStreamer, and Xine is also on the list. I think I read one is
> deprecated and the other should be used, but I do not remember which was
> which.
> And now that you mention phonon-vlc, I remember reading somewhere about it
> and it sounded good. So I emerged it, and switched the backend. Whoops,
> Amarok crashed. But it seems to work fine, let's see if the situation with
> kded4/knotify4 improves. Although it didn't happen for 2-3 days now.

Xine is deprecated.  The backend you should use, apart from that, seems to be
system-specific.  I assume that means hardware-specific.  Many people have
found the vlc backend to cure all ills, but on my Toshiba laptop, like you, I
found it unusable.  On that system the gstreamer backebnd works perfectly (I
use an external soundcard on that system).

Anne