KDEPIM 4.6 prob^Wimpressions

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Wed Jul 20 22:30:53 BST 2011

On Wednesday, 2011-07-20, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Wednesday, July 20, 2011 07:58:59 PM Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > KMail.
> > Account type "Disconnected IMAP" basically works by two-way synchronizing
> > a local copy of IMAP folders with the server, thus allowing offline
> > (disconnected) access to the data.
> > This was originally mainly necessary for working with IMAP based
> > groupware servers such as Kolab, to ensure addressbook and calendar
> > entries could be accessed quickly without needing to wait for the IMAP
> > server to respond.
>
> So for those of us that use on-line IMAP, do we continue to do so?  And
> what exactly happens during migration?  Is it simply Akonadi "indexing"
> for want of a better word all our stored IMAP mail?

Online IMAP will work similar to how it worked on KMail1.
Where KMail1 only cached headers, Akonadi will do that and keep messsage
bodies for a certain time before discarding them. I think the timeout is
something like an hour.

So if one opens an IMAP folder, headers for all messages are fetched (needed
for displaying subjects, etc). Any message which is viewed will be downloaded
at viewing time but then be locally available until the cache timeout purges
it. After that it has to be downloaded again.

Once there we have proper UI for configuring cache policies, this timeout can
of course be manipulated, e.g. further reduced.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring