Calendar widget broken in 4.7?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sun Jul 17 10:12:01 BST 2011

John Layt posted on Sat, 16 Jul 2011 20:00:27 +0100 as excerpted:

> That's an idea I've had for a Plasma widget for a while, "World Holidays
> Today", must get around to implementing it.  It would be handy in the
> Kontact Summary screen too.  One problem is the holidays are only in
> their native languages for now.

That would be a very interesting plasmoid, for sure!

I imagine it could be quite valuable to someone working for a multi-
national (like KDE =:^), dealing with people around the globe who have
all sorts of holidays said person might have no clue about.

Because of US world dominance, a lot of people know of the 4th of July.
But far fewer USians know about holidays in other parts of the globe.
How nice it'd be to be able to wish someone having to work on their
independence day a happy one, even if they're in some country you
otherwise have little clue about.  At least they'd know /someone/ knows
the sacrifice they're making, working on that day.

FWIW, it might be nice to either show three days (one each before and
after current) thereby covering whatever timezone/date they're in on
either side of yours, or calculate the holidays based on the time local
to where they're held, thereby compensating for the timezone/date
difference automatically.