A beginning programmer

Steven Sroka sroka.steven at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 20:26:18 BST 2011

>On 11 July 2011 14:26, Eric Griffith <egriffith92 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the quick responses guys, and now I have a stupid question
> haha, I didn't even really think of this until this moment, but whats
> the guideline for replying to an email listing, on here, with multiple
> people in the conversation? Reply-All or just emailing back directly
> to kde at mail.kde.org? All my emails before this had just been me and
> other person so I didn't even think about it but this just came up on
> the python list as well.

Reply-All is good so you don't start a new thread. (I think sending to
kde at mail.kde.org separately will always start a new thread? I dunno)

> Back on track, though, I'll be checking out various bug trackers, the
> junior jobs; one of the python devs said to just start small and start
> writing scripts for things I do all the time. Off the top of my head
> was post-install scripts for Ubuntu / Fedora / Arch, but to do it in a
> different language than just bash. Like with Python + system calls to
> Bash for package management.

If you are interesting in minor bug fixing to get your feet wet, then
bugs.kde.org has a link on the left to all the Junior Jobs.

Also, ever heard of OpenHatch? :)
This is how I started out - openhatch.org

Essentially, they find "bite-sized" bugs and post them freely so new
developers can learn how to get involved in a larger product, eg. KDE

They also have mentors and guides to using version control systems.