disable fx prior to first 4.6 startups

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 8 03:59:00 BST 2011

On 2011/07/07 15:53 (GMT-0600) Stephen Dowdy composed:

> alternatively, programmatically:

> kwin_compositing_active=$(qdbus org.kde.kwin /KWin org.kde.KWin.compositingActive)
> [ "${kwin_compositing_active}" = "true" ]&&  qdbus org.kde.kwin org.kde.KWin.toggleCompositing

> I prefer to state modifications to config files in terms of k{read,write}config
> statements, as these should work regardless of the distro (i think).  This
> should make it easier for end-users to get the desired effect w/o having to
> hunt around or try to figure out why a section/key/file don't exist.
> Just Cut/Paste and voila' (crossing fingers...)

> This will work to disable compositing for the user that runs it (after logout
> and log-back-in, or if they've never logged in yet:

> kwriteconfig --file kwinrc --group Compositing --key Enabled false

> This should work to create a SITE-specific (or machine specific)
> Override (that should not be touched by system updates).  This will/should
> create files, group sections, and keys as appropriate
> if they don't already exist.

> ----------------
> kde_etc_config=$(kde4-config --path config | cut -f2 -d:)
> kwriteconfig --file ${kde_etc_config}/kwinrc --group Compositing --key Enabled false
http://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-driver-ati/2011-July/020647.html

<quote>
I put a file:
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/composite.conf with the following:

Section "Extensions"
        Option          "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection
</quote>

I almost always need tweaks in /etc/X11/xorg.conf or /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/
anyway, so this would be a minor change to what I'm already doing, if it
works regardless of distro. I'm usually multibooting, and all distros added
after the first on a system I typically pre-config with things like HOSTNAME,
exports, profile.local, resolv.conf and more.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/