KDE4 Shortcuts and performance (was Re: Re: disable fx prior to first 4.6 startups)

Stephen Dowdy sdowdy at ucar.edu
Fri Jul 8 02:31:50 BST 2011

Alex Schuster wrote, On 07/07/2011 05:35 PM:
> Felix Miata writes:
>
>> On 2011/07/07 22:54 (GMT+0200) Alex Schuster composed:
>
>>> Try Alt+Shift+F12, this toggles the desktop effects. I use it on a PC
>>> (not
>>
>> Another hotkey combination I'll probably forget as fast as I discovered
>> it, or at least not remember when I need to.
>
> I know it well, because I get notifications frequently that my system is too
> slow and that the desktops effects are being suspended. This notification
> also mentions how to toggle the effects back via this key combination.

I was hoping there'd be someway to get a list of active shortcuts,
but so far haven't found a good way.

There's some inkling of a possibly incomplete implementation (or
just one i don't yet know how to use) at:

qdbus org.kde.kglobalaccel /component/kwin org.kde.kglobalaccel.Component.shortcutNames
(i see the shortcut names, but not the keybindings for the names)

e.g.
$ qdbus org.kde.kglobalaccel /component/kwin org.kde.kglobalaccel.Component.shortcutNames | grep -i Compos
Suspend Compositing

So, the best i can find for hotkeys is:

    kcmshell4 keys standard_actions

You can then hit the "File" widget on the right in the "Global
Keyboard Shortcuts' module and export everything to a file like
"/tmp/keys.kksrc', then do:

kreadconfig --file /tmp/keys.kksrc --group 'kwin' --group 'Global Shortcuts' --key 'Suspend Compositing'
Alt+Shift+F12

I'm still not clear on the entire distinction between "standard
actions" and "global shortcuts" within KDE4.

> I have a dual core AMD 4850e CPU with 2.5 GHz, and on-board Radeon HD3200
> video (using the open-source radeon driver). Which seems to be barely enough
> to run KDE4 (using six desktops and running much stuff I must admit). top
> gives these values, sampled over two minutes:
>
>   27% X
>   16% kwin
>   13% plasma-desktop
>    5% amarok
>    5% dbus-daemon
>    3% udisks-daemon
>    3% akonadi_imap_re
>    3% akonadiserver
>    3% mysqld
>    2% kget
>    2% knotify4

I had to buy a new graphics card for my Dell T3500 ( Intel E5520 )
to even sustain a KDE4 session. (was an nVidia NVS295, is now an
nVidia GeForce GTS 450)

I was having 5 second delays during window switching.  30% 'X'
CPU usage just moving the mouse from one konsole to another and
back/forth.

Now, instead of it being hair-tearing-out slow, it's just mildly
annoying (i think the GTS450 is roughly 10-20X overall performance
of the NVS295) . I tried a half-dozen different nVidia drivers (2
of which were latest betas) (i'm not able to use nouveau, or at
least can't figure out how to have it work with my card AND my
two monitors.  I also had to give up running my two monitors as
independent X11 screens, one horiz, one vertical (documentation),
because KDE4's kwin doesn't support multiple screens.)

I'm still having trouble with redraw problems. holes in windows,
partial redraws, taking many seconds to repaint an entire window,
titlebars being half redrawn (only the bottom horizontal half gets
redrawn)...  That's not necessarily all KDE4's fault, but i didn't
have any of this on KDE3 (Debian Lenny vs Debian Squeeze)

I.E. i'm not a happy camper.

I have to have "effects enabled" to mitigate this somewhat. (but
all the effects are off) I've played with running '--graphicssystem
raster' and 'opengl' for kwin, konsole, plasma-desktop, nothing
seems to solidly help.

Now, i'm one of those people that has upto 50 firefox windows and
200-300 tabs open.  In KDE3 this was not a problem (even with the
crappy NVS295 card) In KDE4 i can not even RUN with that profile at
all, the system stops responding entirely.  I'm Waiting on "Squeeze
and a Half" which hopefully will have KDE4 4.6 or greater (waiting,
waiting, waiting)   ( production work desktop, so i can't be
diddling with 'sid', 'testing'...)

--stephen
--
Stephen Dowdy  -  Systems Administrator  -  NCAR/RAL
303.497.2869   -  sdowdy at ucar.edu        -  http://www.ral.ucar.edu/~sdowdy/