A week of KDE4 usage

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sat Jul 2 16:04:09 BST 2011

On Saturday, 2011-07-02, Alex Schuster wrote:

> BTW, ordinary users here means people who often do not speak English.
> The German localization misses a lot, so KDE 4 is not right for them.
> Is KDE 4 meant to be for these people? I'm not sure.

Hmm, using KDE localized for German myself I can't really agree with this.
Do you have an example of something not being translated properly? Do by any
chance run something Ubuntu based and using their language packages?

> BTW, who actually does the coding for KDE 4? How many of those people
> are being payed for this, how many just do this for fun in their free
> time?

I don't think there is any significant number of developers currently being
paid to work on KDE.
IIRC Aaron Seigo is, David Faure is 50%, some of the people working on
Calligra Office are.
The Kontact Touch project was done as a contract work for a German
covernmental entity, but that has been delivered and there are currently no
follow-up contracts as far as I know.

Canonical might have somebody working on KDE stuff as well.

> Gnome works fine, but I did not use much of it. Networkmanager is a
> pain, and I had a hard time setting up WLAN. This was not very user
> friendly.

Interesting, I always found NetworkManager to be quite easy, at least when the
WLAN is broadcasting its ESSID (which most of them do).
Mostly using WPA though, had to experiment a bit when doing WPA-PSK, but work
also from UI (i.e. no file editing required).

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring