kwin performance gets worse and worse with every release

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at arcor.de
Sat Jul 2 02:10:59 BST 2011

On 06/29/2011 02:44 PM, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> I just installed KDE RC1.  The trend of kwin becoming slower and slower
> continues with this release.

I found yet another, uhm, let's say "tweak" that results in a speed-up.
  /usr/bin/startkde (this script is used also for KDM logins) sets
MALLOC_CHECK_=3.  Argh!?  No wonder I had crashes with programs that
were previously working.  And the system seemed so much slower.

I deleted the offending lines from startkde and restarted KDE.  The
machine seems to be back to about the same performance as with KDE 4.6
now.  I can't imagine what a negative impression this will leave on
people trying 4.7 RC1 :-/