KMail crashes

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sun Jan 23 09:14:13 GMT 2011

Robert Spangler posted on Sat, 22 Jan 2011 19:49:35 -0500 as excerpted:

> Hello,
>
> I seem to be having a problem and don't know where ti look to fix it.

Always report the version of kde you're using when you ask a question on
the kde lists.  kmail version might be useful too but since it has shipped
as part of kde for years, most folks simply track the kde version.

> After rebooting my system I can no long keep kmail open longer then ~5-7
> mins. after which it crashes with the following:

[snip]
>     () from /usr/lib64/qt-3.3/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
[snip]
> #28 0x00000000004028f4 in DCOPClient::resume() ()

Wait a minute, qt3?  DCOP?  Are you still back on kde 3.x?

kde dropped official support for that back with kde 4.2 (tho many many
users found that to be very very premature, I personally considered 4.2
still alpha as there were still missing features, 4.3 was roughly beta,
4.4 release-candidate, getting close but still rough edges, and 4.5 has
been reasonably nice and polished, with 4.6 due out this week).  They
dropped support even AFTER making a very public pledge that support would
continue as long as there were users, too.  Needless to say, that went
over approximately as well as a lead balloon.

But with 4.5 very nice and polished by most accounts now and with it out
six months now, that's the generally recommended version, even by many
who, like me, did *NOT* agree that kde 4.2 was ready for normal use, when
kde was claiming it was.

And trolltech/nokia dropped support for qt3 before that.

Now, there /is/ a project called trinity, which has continued to update
kde3, and is porting it to the newer qt-4.  I don't know a whole lot more
about it, except that they'd have their own mailing lists, etc.  I'd
suggest you try there, if you're running their version.

Or if you're running an older still supported distribution, asking on your
distribution's lists would be appropriate.

You /may/ get /some/ help here, but as I said, most everyone here has long
since switched to kde4, so while we'd /like/ to help, and may well still
be able to do so for something like UI questions, for crashes, etc, I'm
afraid kde3's well beyond the point at which most here will only be able
to suggest what I just did, asking on your distribution lists if you're
still under support there, or on the trinity lists if you're running it,
or, updating to, preferrably kde 4.5 or so (tho kdepim including kmail
will still be a 4.4 version since they've been working hard at switching
to a new format for 4.6 and never released except for testing a 4.5
kdepim).

Good luck!  With something that old, you're likely to need it!