inotifywait -m -e close --format %f

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Tue Jan 18 07:43:55 GMT 2011

On Monday, 2011-01-17, gene heskett wrote:
> Greetings;
>
> Is there a way I can mate an output from the above command line, watching
> /var/spool/mail, to trigger a 'check mail' function in the recent kmail?
>
> This is a case of not needing the text output, but just the occurrence of
> the output, used as an interrupt to kmail.  This would synchronize kmail
> with the activities of fetchmail and procmail/SA so I see incoming mail
> several minutes quicker.

You could execute the checkMail action (check all accounts for new mail) via
D-Bus:

qdbus org.kde.kmail /KMail org.kde.kmail.kmail.checkMail

There is also a checkAccount action for checking only one account, but I
didn't have time to look into that yet.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring