right mouse click simulation with tabletpc

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Tue Feb 22 14:07:45 GMT 2011

Franz Kinader posted on Tue, 22 Feb 2011 12:00:07 +0100 as excerpted:

> I have one problem. I will use KDE on a tabletpc with eGalax
> touchscreen. In GNOME i can configure, that the right-mouse click will
> be simulatet when i press the left mouse about 3 seconds.
>
> The left mouse click is, when I touch the screen.
>
> Is there any solution in KDE?

I'm not (yet?) a tablet user, but AFAIK, such behavior is generally
pointer-driver configured, not directly by the desktop environments either
one, except that they may have a GUI front-end available to help configure
the driver.  Being a Gentoo user, I tend to configure such things directly
in the xorg.conf.d files.

TTBOMK[1], while the usual evdev input driver will get the job done, most
touch-sensitive pointers work better with the xf86-input-synaptics
driver.  That's certainly the case with my netbook's touchpad, and I
recall reading that the syntouch driver is now used for all sorts of
similar touch-surface type devices, regardless of brand.  (One exception
would be the Wacom style "graphics pen" tablets intended for drawing, etc,
not primarily as a general input pointer altho they work for that.  xf86-
input-wacom is to xf86-input-synaptics what xf86-input-synaptics is to
xf86-input-evdev as a pointer driver.)

I do know there's quite a few config options for the syntouch driver, and
make use of a fair share of them myself.  Tho I don't have it handy ATM as
I'm at my workstation with its logitech mouse and more conventional evdev
driver, not the netbook.

That's what I'd be investigating, the syntouch driver and its config in
xorg.conf.d, but as I said I'm a Gentoo user and thus tend to be more
comfortable editing config files directly than many, and you may well get
a reply with more direct information than I have in any case.  In case you
don't, however, the above should at least point you in the right direction.

---
[1] TTBOMK: To the best of my knowledge.