How do I restart KDM?

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 18 17:04:49 GMT 2011

On 2011/02/18 17:18 (GMT+0100) Geoffray Levasseur composed:

> To restart the deamon (so the parent process):
> * on Debian and *Ubuntu: /etc/init.d/kdm restart
> * on OpenSuse and Gentoo: /etc/init.d/xdm restart

> Don't know for other distro.

All my many openSUSEs it's '/etc/init.d/kdm restart', or 'rckdm restart' for
short. IIRC, on Mandriva (and maybe Fedora before sysvinit was obsoleted) it
could alternatively be 'service kdm restart'.

Since I do so much cross-distro testing, and what works or not varies, and I
usually have at least one vc logged in already, as long as it's not a Debian
I'm running, I usually goto a vc and 'init 3; init 5' instead of needing to
remember what works or not.
--
"How much better to get wisdom than gold, to choose
understanding rather than silver." Proverbs 16:16 NKJV

  Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/