Kmix KDE4.6 Pulseaudio

Peter Nikolic p.nikolic1 at btinternet.com
Tue Feb 15 16:38:53 GMT 2011

On Tuesday 15 February 2011 11:44:24 Duncan wrote:
> Peter Nikolic posted on Tue, 15 Feb 2011 08:24:01 +0000 as excerpted:
> > I have been looking at opensuse 11.4 RC1  with KDE 4.6  now i am not
> > sure where the correct place for this is but here goes .
> >
> > OS11.4rc1 install seems to default to pulseaudio (pa) which if it works
> > is fine apart from with pa running Kmix adopts a dire personality where
> > each slider id it it's own Tab  .
> >
> > Question is how can i revert Kmix back to the old sensible method  but
> > keep with pa i have tried binning /home/user/.kde4/config/kmix*   that
> > just stops kmix  until i log out and back in again when we are back in
> > the same disgusting boat of one slider oer tab  dont like it dont
> > appreaciate it  find it very clunky to use all in all hard work for
> > something that should be simple .
>
> I'm not an OpenSuSE user (Gentoo) nor a pulseaudio user (straight alsa,
> phonon-vlc as the kde/phonon backend), but here's a simple trick that may
> well fix it for you, given the above:
>
> Those kmix config files?  Instead of deleting them, truncate them to zero
> bytes (delete everything in them, or delete them and then touch them to
> recreate @ 0 bytes), then set permissions on them read-only.  (I've used
> this trick to good effect with a number of other kde uncooperatives.  If
> they can't write the bad config...)
>
> If that doesn't work (it might not depending on the config saving
> mechanism) try setting them to root ownership and read-only.
>
> If that doesn't work (depending on the technique used by config-saving
> mechanism, you may need to set perms on the containing directory, which
> isn't ideal given its a general kde config dir, not kmix specific),
> there's three more complex options you might be able to try depending on
> how your system is setup:
>
> If the filesystem in question is ext2/3/4 based, consider setting the
> files in question "immutable".  (FWIW I've never done this as I run
> reiserfs here and IIRC it doesn't have an immutable bit, but it's an
> interesting concept.)
>
> If your system runs SELinux security contexts, you can try editing the
> security contexts of the files so kmix can't touch them.  (Again, no
> selinux here so I've not actually tried it.)
>
> Setup a script that deletes the files either as part of the login process,
> before kmix is up and running to read them, or perhaps as part of the
> logout process.  (I HAVE done this sort of thing, before, actually
> somewhat frequently, as because the technique simply runs a script, it's
> as flexible as the commands I can run from a script. =:^)

Well fixed it   uninstalled pulseaudio all fine now mixer back to sanity sound
still working  from what i have been told on the suse list it seems it is a
personality used for pulseaudio  henc i will not use pa till this problem is
solved

Unless anyone knows how to doctor this so called personality

Pete .