How to set the KDE path?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Tue Feb 8 00:40:04 GMT 2011

Stephen Dowdy posted on Mon, 07 Feb 2011 10:12:12 -0700 as excerpted:

> Dotan Cohen wrote, On 02/07/2011 08:48 AM:
>> On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 15:32, Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at>
>> wrote:
>>> A combination of paths in $PATH and KDE specific
>>> "non-interactive-binaries" paths.
>>> See kde4-config --path exec
>>
>> There is nothing but a blank line there, maybe that is the issue:
>> ✈ganymede:~$ kde4-config --path exec
>>
>> ✈ganymede:~$
>
> Dotan, i believe it's "--path exe" (not exec)
> unfortunately, kde{,4}-config returns a blank string for any
> path type it doesn't know, instead of throwing an error.
> (maybe it's dynamically extensible to understand run-time
> added types?)
>
> e.g.:
>
> sdowdy at zia:~/bin$ kde4-config --path exe
> /home/sdowdy/.kde4/lib/kde4/libexec/:/usr/lib/kde4/libexec/:/usr/bin/

Seconded:

user at host 3 17:02:10 #501 j0 s0 ~
$>>kde4-config --path exec

user at host 3 17:02:19 #501 j0 s0 ~
$>>kde4-config --path exe
<$KDEHOME>/lib64/kde4/libexec/:/usr/lib64/kde4/libexec/:/usr/bin/

user at host 3 17:02:22 #501 j0 s0 ~
$>>

(If it threw an error, that s0, which as I have my prompt setup, reports
the termination status of the last command, would be s<some-other-number>
after the exec verion.  Yes, that's a two-line prompt, and yes, it's
packed with all sorts of information, some of which was edited for
posting.  The various bits of info are color-coded too, but of course that
doesn't show up here.  The <$KDEHOME> bit in the output is edited as well,
as mine is non-default.)

... Which suggests an easy workaround to the problem as posted, at least
for a single bindir.

Create the $KDEHOME/$LIBDIR/kde4/libexec dir or symlink-to-dir, which
doesn't appear to exist by default.  If you want only a few executables
listed, create it as a dir and symlink the individual executables.  If you
want an entire bindir of executables listed, create it as a symlink to
that bindir.

Unfortunately, that won't work for more than a single bindir's worth,
without finding and editing the config for that setting to include more
dirs, in which case you can point it to them directly and don't need the
symlinks.