Looking for Font Settings

Richard Wilson richard.wilson3 at hp.com
Mon Dec 5 23:12:08 GMT 2011

> Richard Wilson posted on Tue, 22 Nov 2011 10:37:58 -0700 as excerpted:
>
>> I am running Fedora 15 with KDE 4.6.5-1 set up with multiple desktops. I
>> have gone into the pager settings and told it to display the desktop
>> names, but it doesn't display it.
>>
>> I had this working a while back (under KDE 4.3 iirc) and found that I
>> had to change the font used by the pager to get it to display the names
>> (or numbers) for the desktops.  I have looked for the font settings
>> under this new version of KDE but been unable to find them.
>>
>> Does anyone know how to change these font settings under this KDE
>> version (4.6.5-1)?  It might be an idea to change the default font to
>> something smaller -- whatever the default is has never worked with any
>> version of Fedora since KDE 4 has been out.  I think I had to use a 7
>> point font to get it to work under 4.3...
>
> AFAIK, there used to be a kpager app.  I don't see it in 4.7 at least,
> and I'm wondering what you're referring to as the pager?  Maybe the
> plasmoid (aka desktop/panel widget), available to be added to the desktop
> or panel, which shows a little rectangle representing each desktop?  Or
> perhaps the display when you switch the desktops themselves?  Or the
> desktop grid, since that's sort of a pager, I guess?
>
> Assuming it's the plasmoid, since that's actually /called/ "pager"... I'm
> guessing its font is going to be that of plasma itself, either controlled
> by the desktop theme or set in kde settings, common..., application
> appearance, fonts.
>
> Actually, I just tried it, and it appears to be the settings for "Small"
> font, in kde settings... fonts, as mentioned above.  FWIW, I have it set
> to sans serif, 10, here.  Seems to work on the pager plasmoid I just
> setup for testing (I don't normally have one running).
>
> Also, in pager settings, general, be sure desktop name is set (that may
> be what you referred to above), and that there ARE names assigned under
> virtual desktops, desktops.

Duncan,

Thanks, That was it.  The "Pager" settings, can be gotten to by an
ALT-D,S -- they are the plasmoid you mentioned first above.  For some
reason, Fedora's default of "sans serif 8" doesn't show the text when
desktop number or name are selected.  Changing the small default font to
"sans serif 7" and clicking apply made my desktop names appear.

The "Ubuntu 8" font setting works fine in Kubuntu; go figure.

Thanks again, hopefully someone else may find this useful.

Richard Wilson