Konsole fonts: just a jump o the left

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 07:46:25 GMT 2011

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 17:41, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan at cox.net> wrote:
> I see I asked you to do something but expected you to read my mind as to
> where! =:^\
>
> Try kde settings, fonts (under common appearance and ..., app appearance).
>
> Towards the bottom of that you should see the anti-aliasing and DPI
> controls I was talking about, and my instructions should make more sense
> than when you're looking at konsole's profile settings! =:^)
>
> Yes, that'll affect fonts system-wide, but you can do it only
> temporarily, for testing.
>
> The reason I mention this is that I had to adjust it here, a year or so
> ago, as the interaction between accelerated video and font aliasing
> changed after an update, and pieces of letters ended up missing!  It
> could be you are seeing a variant on the same thing, and changing
> aliasing/hinting might help as it did for me.
>
> The kind of font (true-type, bitmapped, etc) would affect it too, as the
> way these operations work on the various font types differs.
>
> FWIW, I have anti-aliasing enabled, medium hinting, no sub-pixel, now,
> but AFAIK I had to turn off at least hinting entirely, and possibly
> aliasing, for a graphics driver version or two.  It was driving me crazy
> until I figured out that turning off hinting fixed it.

I am actually surprised that you managed to figure out the issue on
the system you mention. That does sound crazy.

However, unfortunately, changing the antialiasing from enabled to
disabled and back to system did not help. Neither did forcing a
specific font DPI. I actually did try that when you mentioned it, in
System Settings as well as in Konsole.

In any case I'm now using the DejaVu Sans font, which is not affected
and looks decent. Thanks, Duncan!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il