Bad DNS Query for Date & Time

Michael D. Berger m_d_berger_1900 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 30 19:08:41 BST 2011

I have a local ntp server, whose url is specified in /etc/hosts.
Pinging it from my new CentOS 6 laptop works just file. Watching
with WireShark, if I do /etc/init.d/ntpd restart, I see a
successful ntp query and response.

Now using KDE 4 on my new CentOS 6 laptop, using the "Date &
Time [modified] - System Settings", I set time using my server.
In WireShark I see a dns query asking for the address of:
"settings-look-and-feel.desktop".  The dns response is:
"No such name".  How about that?

Am I looking at a configuration error or a bug?

Thanks for your comments.
Mike.