Phonon + PulseAudio + Skype = No mic

Eric Griffith egriffith92 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 00:47:35 BST 2011

This is being sent to the KDE list because I THINK its a Phonon issue.

I'm going to be throwing a lot of information out and basically seeing
what sticks, just FYI, As I'm not sure where to begin.  My problem is
Skype isnt picking up my microphone input, Webcam works fine. (its a
webcam + Microphone combo) But pavucontrol IS picking up my input, so
I think it may just be a wrong setting somewhere...problem is, Idk
what or where

Trying to get skype (2.2 beta, this is the one that is supposed to
finally add PulseAudio support) to work. Under Sound Devices, the only
option for output / input is PulseAudio Server (local) and thats set
by default. Skype isnt allowed to control the mixer levels (skype's
buggy if it IS allowed)

[eric at eric-laptop ~]$ aplay -l
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC663 Analog [ALC663 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC663 Digital [ALC663 Digital]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
[eric at eric-laptop ~]$

The HD-Audio-Generic HDMI is turned off in Phonon, see below.

alsamixer has all of my channels, on all soundcards at max, and
unmuted. So its not that.

Alright, Phonon!  (Output + Capture are in the order they are in under
Phonon for preference)

Audio Output I've got four Options:

*) Internal Audio Digital Stero (IEC958)
*) Internal Audio Analog Stero      --Greyed out
*) Redwood HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5600 Series] Digital Stereo (HDMI)
--Greyed out
*) Dummy Output   --Greyed out

The Redwood is greyed out, because on the next tab I set the Sound
Profile to off since I dont use HDMI

Audio Capture:

*) Internal Audio Analog Stereo
*) HDA Intel (ALC663 Analog)

Small note. If I move HDA intel to the top spot, hit apply, close
phonon and then open it back up... its reverted back to the second
spot and I cant do anything about it.

Next Tab! Speaker Setup! (The speakers I use are built in)

Hardware:

*) Redwood HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5600 Series]  -- Off.
*) Internel Audio: (This is where it gets fun.)

(For all of these, the "Connector" Is Analog Speakers, because Analog
OUtput doesnt work)

Profile:

1) Analog Stereo Duplex (Sound Output: Internal Audio Analog Stero) --Sound

2) Analog Stereo Output (Sound Output: Internal Audio Analog Stereo) --Sound

3) Digital Stereo (IEC958) Output + Analog Stereo Input (Sound Output:
Internal Audio Digital Stereo (IEC958) ) --No Sound, and 'Connector'
Disappeared.

4) Digital Stereo Duplex (IEC958) (Sound Output: Internal Audio
Digital Stereo (IEC958) ) --No Sound, and 'Connector' Disappeared.

5) Analog Stereo Input  (No sound obviously, no connector, no sound output)

6) Off.... off xD

Next Tab! Backend: Gstreamer

MOdules that are BLACKLISTED:  snd-pcsp

Modules that are LOADED: ( with grep "snd_" ), spaces in between for
readability.

snd_hda_codec_hdmi     20135  1

snd_hda_codec_realtek   241866  1

snd_hda_intel          20567  5

snd_hda_codec          71160  3
snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_intel

snd_seq                43528  0

snd_seq_device          5033  1 snd_seq

snd_hwdep               4905  1 snd_hda_codec

snd_pcm                63457  3 snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec

snd_timer              15245  2 snd_seq,snd_pcm

snd                    48471  19
snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_hwdep,snd_pcm,snd_timer

snd_page_alloc          6035  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm

All of this is mainly annoying because, if I plug a headset with a
microphone into my jacks; skype works fine; so im leaning towards a
Phonon Profile + Modules issue, if anyone can help it'd VERY
appreciative.