Strange KDE4 behavior after updating to -current

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Wed Aug 10 19:12:57 BST 2011

Beech Rintoul posted on Tue, 09 Aug 2011 08:16:15 -0800 as excerpted:

> I'm having problems with kde4. This is a bit hard to describe, but
> something is blocking input. When I type anything into a webpage, shell,
> or email nothing shows up on the screen until I move the mouse. In the
> case of a shell any command typed neither displays or executes till
> there is mouse movement.
>
> I have rebuilt all the ports and kde4 (several times) but still the
> same. In console everything is fine as it is in xterm. This is a real
> hair puller and I don't have a clue what to check next.
>
> pinnacle# uname -a FreeBSD pinnacle.akherb.com 9.0-BETA1 FreeBSD
> 9.0-BETA1 #2: Sun Aug  7 20:48:59 AKDT 2011
> root at pinnacle.akherb.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/PINNACLE i386
>
> Ports tree is up to date and so is kde4. Any help would be appreciated
> as this is almost unusable as it is.

AFAIK, there's not many running BSD here.  Nothing wrong with asking the
question, it's appropriate, but it's likely you'll get more help on the
BSD lists than here.

Meanwhile, you say -current.  Does that mean you're running kde live
trunk?  Or is that 4.7.0, current kde, or something somewhat behind that
on FreeBSD? Being a kde list, we tend to focus on kde version more than
distro version.  Distro version is only relevant for distro-specific
bugs, which again, are more likely to get help on the distro lists...
unless you're lucky and someone else happens to be running the same thing.

FWIW, I've not seen anything like that on any of the kdes I've run,
mostly release versions, up thru current 4.7.0 and including 4.6.95 aka
4.7.0-rc2, here on Gentoo.  But this sounds like it may be distro-
specific, and I know the BSDs don't get the kde testing that Linux does,
so it may indeed be a kde bug, particularly if you ARE running kde trunk,
and you may well be the first to report it.  It's certainly the first
time I've seen it here.