I just noticed: no more crashes! Thanks, KDE team!

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sun Aug 7 15:34:32 BST 2011

Anne Wilson posted on Sun, 07 Aug 2011 13:15:26 +0200 as excerpted:

> On Saturday, August 06, 2011 Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> On Sat, Aug 6, 2011 at 00:27, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan at cox.net> wrote:
>> > That's why konqueror has the separate process options that
>> >
>> > dolphin lacks -- the simple users dolphin targets are apparently
>> > assumed never to have enough separate file manager windows open at
>> > once that it really makes a difference for them.
>>
>> Dolphin has the separate process option too, it's just in Konqueror.
>> From what I understand enabling this option in Konqueror enables it for
>> Dolphin as well, because the Konqueror file manager in KDE 4 is just an
>> embedded Dolphin part. I can't crash Dolphin to check, but I can tell
>> you that keeping Konqueror preloaded makes Dolphin start up much faster
>> as well.
>
> Where is this option please?

Run Konqueror, Settings menu, Configure Konqueror, Performance icon.

In the Minimize Memory Usage section, setting "Never" will force each
window (konqueror and dolphin, it seems) into its own process, therefore
increasing stability at the cost of memory usage -- if a window crashes,
it should be just that window, not all of them.

FWIW, there's also an at least theoretical security aspect here,
particularly for browsing mode.  That's part of why the "use with care"
warning is there.  If you use konqueror for online banking, etc, ensuring
that minimize memory either never, or for file browsing only, is
selected, and always use a separate window for online banking, so it's
always a different process and should be more difficult to exploit a vuln
in from a different site open in another window, as opposed to another
tab in the same window, or in another window with shared processes.

In the Preloading section... well, it's pretty much all there.  FWIW, I
have it set to "two" instances to keep preloaded, and both preload after
kde startup and always try to have at least one preloaded instance are
checked.

So when I open an instance, if there's none left in reserve, it should
load another in reserve.  When I close an instance, if there's now more
than two in reserve, it'll close the extras.

FWIW2, these techniques and config options are VERY similar to those used
by MS when it combined the file manager (Windows Explorer) and the
Browser (Internet Explorer), along with the desktop shell.  It ended up
with memory minimalization vs separate process stabilization options too,
with the same three options.  And it had a preload option too, altho at
least back in the Windows 98 era that was the last I really used it, IIRC
it wasn't exposed except as a registry setting, and I think via TweakUI
and later some similar third-party apps.