Kickoff Menu Config

Bruce Korb bkorb at gnu.org
Tue Aug 2 20:19:06 BST 2011

On 08/02/11 10:49, Eric Griffith wrote:
>> Traditionally, one simply puts /home on its own partition, and installs
>> don't touch home except for (optional) user creation, which is otherwise
>> done afterward.  An admin then mounts /home and adjusts user/group
>> numbers for accounts found there to match what's already on the
>> preexisting /home. (This is done by editing the appropriate user and
>> group files in /etc, either as part of user creation or immediately
>> before/after user creation.)
>>

> And I used to do that, Duncan, putting /home seperately, but I stopped
> after I had a cluster-fsck when switching distros with different
> package versions that required different style configs... lets just
> say it was ugly when I logged in after installing. Besides I like to
> know what the 'default feel' of a distro, and if it automaticaly knows
> to load my themes / wallpapers / sounds and stuff like that, then I
> don't know what the devs worked so hard on. So, this set up lets me
> just keep my actual files.

Amen!!  It is a major big problem.  It has been a lot more than "just ugly".
It doesn't understand the old settings and screws up the new settings
and leaves things basically unusable very often.

Here is an idea for a really useful utility:

    upgrade-configs $OLDHOMEDIR/.kde*

let each application that has new and better ways of doing things make the
old config files become newer and better instead of forcing hapless
users to choose between square 1 and a broken configuration.