KDE Quality (problems)

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sun Apr 17 17:56:53 BST 2011

On Thursday, 2011-04-14, Clemens Eisserer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > I suppose we all have our favorite parts of KDE. For me it's Quanta. For
> > whatever reason the devs at wherever have pretty much decided it was not
> > worth the effort to bring it along with KDE 4.x. There is one person
> > trying to bring it along and I hope someday he manages to do it.
>
> No offense, but why at all should Qanta be part of a Desktop Environment?

Good question. Did anyone ever actually suggest that?

> I like Quanta, but what makes it worthwile to integrate it tightly into a
> DE?

I don't think anyone would attempt that, especially not at this stage of
development.

> > Kopete is meant to be replaced by telepathy (which is in early
> > development)
>
> So I suppose a KDE frontend will be developed by the KDE project.
> Which has to be maintained again, same situation but different program.

Not entirely. The shared infrastructure makes it a lot less effort to maintain
the new program which is basically just user interface.

Basically *the* way to go forward, sharing maintenance load and support of new
protocols between various development communities.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring