Question for the old hands, about disks

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Fri Apr 15 04:54:39 BST 2011

On Thursday, April 14, 2011 11:25:47 PM Duncan did opine:

> gene heskett posted on Wed, 13 Apr 2011 11:42:46 -0400 as excerpted:
> > As I have gone about preparing /dev/sdb to move the install to it, I
> > have had several instances where the machine was frozen, usually for
> > about 70 seconds at a time.  Dmesg is reporting that ata2 is being
> > reset, quite a few times.
>
> In my experience, repeated minite-timeouts and reset is pre-fail
> behavior.  But with your mention of warranty, it sounds like you already
> know that.

Well, I hitched a ride over to seacrates site and picked up the latest
firmware updating iso, this about 3 days ago, maybe 4, time has been a blur
here since.

Following their instructions, I pulled the cables on the other drives and
booted the cd I burnt.  It updated the firmware on that drive, to cc49,
from some version in the late 20's.

So now the drive is stable, but the write speeds are running about 2
megs/sec.  I replaced the SATA cable with another and doubled the from
platter read speeds, but they still don't match the other nearly identical
drive.  But its working with no errors now.

What pulled the plug and flushed the whole system was when I plugged in the
cable to /dev/sda and booted the cd, it updated the firmware on it too, and
somehow managed to also do the MBR on the drive so that even selecting it
as the boot device in the F8 bios menu, it simply hung with a blank screen
deadlock.  It is still that way despite fdisk showing it as bootable, and I
have mounted the individual partitions and have the majority of the data
recovered now.  But, that drives partition labels are meaningless &
scrambled so that the partition bearing the sea-slash label, is actually,
from its contents, the old /opt partition.  Other labels are similarly
miss-placed.  Entirely possible since all the distros have fallen in love
with the UUID numbers because they are supposedly more unique than a human
generated label.

Anyway, I installed a freshly burnt version of pclos, and have been
watching paint dry at 2megs/sec while mc gets my data back.

And yes, I run amanda, so it ought to be easy, but my next outgoing msg
will be to the amanda-users list because I can't get it to build, missing
includes bailouts.  With zero clues as to what the package name that would
fix it.  And since the rpm packages are a totally different setup, I'll
wait till the local build problems get sorted, its one of the few programs
that I have been building and using the svn versions of since back in the
late 90's.

Anyway, I haven't fallen over, yet, just occupied trying to get a new
install that didn't use the partitions I gave it, sorted, but now I have
/home, /opt, /root, and /var back on their proper partitions.

One positive side effect seems to be that a lot of my kde4 problems have
vanished too.  And I think I have it all back to 4.6.2 now too.  As I've
rebooted 20+ times as I get the data moved & the only time I lost any
config was when I mounted the new /home partition over the top of the
install directory and rebooted after fixing fstab.  But give me time, I'm
sure I can screw it up again. :-)

Cheers, Duncan & now to see if my recovered kmailrc can still send an
email.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)