Another case of WONTFIX

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Tue Apr 12 15:02:39 BST 2011

Greets all;

A friend on another unrelated mailing list just posted this link:

<http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/separate-usr-is-broken>

Which tells me that having /usr on a separate partition, as most of us
oldtimers do that have been victims of LVM and had a system demolished by
its total lack of recovery tools does. I wouldn't touch LVM in any form
with anything less than old meat in the pot, a P.O.Ackley wildcat based on
the 30-06.

That sample command line shown on that page, expanded with a |wc -l on the
end shows I am in violation 61 times!

Now, while I hate to do it, it looks like I may be forced to put /usr back
on / at my next install.

My present system gives a df output of:
[root at coyote sbin]# df
/dev/sda8              29G  7.2G   21G  27% /
/dev/sda1             395M  314M   62M  84% /boot
/dev/sda5              29G   18G   12G  62% /home
/dev/sda3              97G   12G   80G  13% /opt
/dev/sda6              29G  215M   28G   1% /root
/dev/sda9              29G  237M   28G   1% /tmp
/dev/sda10            673G   48G  591G   8% /usr
/dev/sda7              29G  9.3G   19G  34% /var
/dev/sdc1             917G  478G  393G  55% /amandatapes

My question for this list is:  Could this be the root cause of all my kde4
configuration losses at reboot time?

And, could the separate /home also have something to do with this, for the
same reason?

The above is another non-negotiable item, just like /var which is separated
and will remain so as long as the logs are on it.

One possible fix might be to mount a 'log' partition at /var/log, but would
not the read-only status in case things go tits down in the deep end of the
pool, carry over and lock the system out of writing logs in this scenario?
That needs an authoritative answer, because I might just go so far as to
put it on a separate drive although that multiplies my failed drive
exposure to do so.

Inquiring minds want to know...

--
Cheers, Gene