4.6.2 early report

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Mon Apr 11 05:56:00 BST 2011

gene heskett posted on Mon, 11 Apr 2011 00:00:41 -0400 as excerpted:

> Chuckle.  There are broadcast related things that I am an expert at, but
> cobbling up bash scripts is about the limit here on a 64 bit machine.  I
> usually manage to get the job done, but expert?  Dontbesilly...

I /was/ having problems believing you couldn't know about using sleep in a
shell script, but stranger things have happened.  Geek knowledge can be
pretty specialized, as I'm sure you know.  (I once stapled a message to a
football, thinking it was foam filled like a nerf ball, not inflated. =:^(

As for pgrep (and pkill), I suspect it may be a _relatively_ (in *ix time,
not necessarily Linux time) recent addition to the procps package and thus
not as well known as the older basic tools.  The procps NEWS file hints
that development may have been in the Linux kernel 2.3/2.4 timeframe.

FWIW, it's fairly new to me too, and I frequently try psgrep first, only
remembering there's no "s" after that fails.  I did that above as well,
but fortunately decided I better test the command before I sent the
message.  Otherwise you'd be trying to figure out what I was referring to
when I suggested psgrep! =:^P