4.6.2 shutdown

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Fri Apr 8 07:16:31 BST 2011

Nikos Chantziaras posted on Fri, 08 Apr 2011 00:04:51 +0300 as excerpted:

> On 04/07/2011 08:09 PM, Dominik Cermak wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> since I have updated to 4.6.2 the shutdown doesn't work anymore. KDE an
>> X are terminated but I get a login console, where I have to login and
>> type 'sudo shutdown -h now' to finally shut my system down.
>>
>> Reboot works fine.
>>
>> I also tested with a new user, same problem.
>>
>> Is there anybody with the same problem, or some ideas how to fix it?
>> I'am running ArchLinux x86_64.
>
> Same here on Gentoo.  Impossible to shutdown the machine from KDE.

I haven't upgraded to 4.6.2 yet (I hope to tonite/tomorrow, 4.6.1 ATM,
Gentoo), and in any case, I don't give my normal X/KDE user privileges
enough to shutdown the system directly (I have the standard Ctrl-Alt-Del
set to logout, no confirmation, which returns me to the CLI prompt as I
don't run a ?DM graphical login utility, and then hit the power button,
which sends an ACPI signal that triggers a switch to init-0, shutdown, or
a second C-A-D, which from the CLI triggers a switch to init-6, reboot),
so I wouldn't notice the issue even if I had upgraded.

However...

It's worth noting that kde 4.6 switched from hal to udev/upower for that
sort of thing, mediated by policykit configured system privileges.  Since
that infrastructure is new for 4.6, it's quite possible they are still
tweaking it, and I'd suspect an issue with either the policykit configured
permissions, OR upower (which I don't have a clue on at this point), OR
the dbus mediated communication with polkit and upower.

As such, I'd probably check the policykit settings in kcontrol, near the
top of my list.  Gentoo users will want to ensure they have the policykit
USE flag turned on.  Etc.

That probably won't be a lot of help but hopefully it'll be a hint toward
which direction to check, anyway. =:^\