Disable "Unlock Widgets" from the panel

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Thu Sep 30 07:32:18 BST 2010

Dotan Cohen posted on Wed, 29 Sep 2010 21:14:31 +0200 as excerpted:

> I have an elderly user who is constantly unlocking and destroying his
> KDE 4 panels. I disabled the right-click on the desktop to prevent 90%
> of the problem, but how can one disable right-click on the panel? Or at
> least to remove the "Unlock Widgets" menu item from there?

These first two aren't thru kde4 itself, but here are a couple ideas:

1) If he can't properly distinguish right- and left-click (or can, but
simply doesn't have that level of motor control any more) either get him
an "Apple-style" single-button mouse or consider configuring xorg/hal to
treat the buttons the same -- as a left-click.

2) Consider changing the permissions on the files in question to read-
only.  Plasma will likely still let him alter the in memory running
version, but restarting plasma will then return him to an as-new config.
I'd start with $KDEHOME/share/config/plasma* and (recursively) with
$KDEHOME/share/apps/plasma*.  Leaving them as his ownership is likely
fine, just set them read-only.  Of course, you can change the ownership
(on the containing dirs too) to root or something, if desired, and ensure
he has only read perms, to really make them read-only, but that wouldn't
appear to be necessary, as from what I gather he's not doing it
deliberately.

Also, as a helpful hint, from kde 4.5, the panel setup is now scripted,
and you can create custom "default" panels if desired, so if he messes it
up, at least it's easier to rebuild -- simply choose new panel, and choose
the customized one instead of empty or the normal default.  It's also
possible to clone activities, which sort of allows making a backup as
well, tho that's a bit different.

To directly answer your question, I don't see any way (which isn't the
same as saying there's not one) to directly remove that action except by
modifying source.  Of course, given that KDE is freedomware, that's always
an option.

Another (advanced level, and more something to do as a last resort with
servantware you don't have the sources to) workaround that could work or
help...  Set the panel to windows-can-cover, and create a transparent
overlay app that absorbs input you don't want to pass on, while passing on
input that you do, to the underlying panel.  Then use window controls to
force it to position at the correct location, go borderless, maybe always-
on-top, etc.