Switch between day/night desktop modes. Activities? or Themes?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Tue Sep 21 12:30:23 BST 2010

Victor Hugo Borja posted on Mon, 20 Sep 2010 23:35:05 -0500 as excerpted:

> I'd like to be able to easily change from a light-desktop (light color
> scheme, style, windeco) to a dark-desktop - when reading stuff or
> hacking at night... In kde3 IIRC there was a "Theme" feature that
> allowed to save the current colors, style, windeco, icons, etc under a
> name, so switching between them was not that difficult.. however I've
> been unable to find a similar feature on kde 4.5.
>
> I'm just wondering if there is something I'm missing that could help me
> with changing between day/night desktops.
>
> Don't know if this could be a use case for Plasma Activities..  I mean
> ... I'd have a "day" activity, a "night" activity, and switch using the
> new 4.5 activity switcher.

Activities would indeed work for that, yes.  However, to answer your
question, there's two different color themes in kde4, the plasma/desktop
theme, and the general window and widget theme.

The general theme is found under Common Appearance and Behavior,
Application Appearance, Colors.  I use a custom theme based on the dark-
blue-debian theme from kdelook.  (I have a STRONG preference for lighter
text and foreground on dark backgrounds, to the point I can't stand the
default black text on white background that's so common, or even the
default sick-gray so common for most widgets.)

The plasma/desktop theme is found under Workspace Appearance and Behavior,
Workspace Appearance, Desktop Theme.  Here again I use a theme from
kdelook, the "Professional" theme, with a couple specific lines in the
text config files modified to eliminate a contrast problem I was seeing,
since the theme controls background but not text color of some items (text
color being set using the above general theme, with the desktop theme
expecting a dark text color, while I had it set to a light color).