System Tray Programs

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Tue Sep 21 12:13:08 BST 2010

Christian Mikovits posted on Tue, 21 Sep 2010 09:54:30 +0200 as excerpted:

> I tried many things now, sometimes a few icons showed up (eg. klipper)
> but not all of them.
> I have to stay with kde-panel for now, but the lack of configurability
> make me cry. You can't even adjust the iconsize of an application
> launcher or the size of the clock's text. That's really a pain in the
> a.. if you wan't to use a vertical panel.

FWIW, there's other clock applets on kdelook.  I actually use yasp-
scripted, yet-another-system-monitor-scripted, for monitoring all sorts of
system stats, including one applet that has clocks in both UTC and local
time.  It allows choosing both font face and font size.

Similar with app-launchers, altho I don't use any -- and only use kickoff
for finding apps I'm not familiar with.  All of my regular apps are hotkey
launched (tho I ended up fashioning my own launcher with bash scripts run
in konsole, only launching the launcher itself with khotkey, to get around
the no-global-multi-key-hotkeys bug in kde4), with a few that I don't use
frequently enough for that but run often enough to remember the name
generally started from krunner.  I prefer hotkeys to having to seek out
the icons for icon based launchers, plus the launchers take screen-space,
so hotkeys really do work best for me.

But you're right in terms of lack of configurability of the core system,
particularly plasma.  It's quite frustrating.  It seems asegio (the head
plasma dev) is more interested in whiz-bang gadgets and new stuff like
activities than in making the basics like basic font size configurability
on basic plasmoids such as the clock, actually available and workable.
Often, the only way to configure size is to change the size of the plasmoid
itself -- fine on the desktop, but often impossible without changing the
size of the panel itself, on the panel.

One way around that is user scriptable plasmoids like yasp-scripted, but
some users don't have the skills to even change the sample scripts to
match their own systems, let alone create their own scripts, and even for
those that do, it's a far worse time sink to get it right, than simply
selecting a font and font size would be, on pre-functioned plasmoid.