Panorama background images

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sat Sep 11 22:13:51 BST 2010

Tassilo Horn posted on Sat, 11 Sep 2010 12:09:17 +0200 as excerpted:

> is there a possibility to use a very wide panorama image as background
> image across all my wallpapers, so that desktop 1 shows the left part of
> the picture, 2 and 3 the middle parts and desktop 4 the outmost right
> part?

It's (sort of) possible, yes, but...

Are you talking multiple monitors, or multiple (virtual) desktops, all on
the same( set of)? monitors?  Because you mention four desktops, but I'm
wondering if you don't mean multiple monitors, instead.  Either way, it's
possible, but the multiple monitors thing I think would be a more common
request.  Multiple desktops... not so much.

Never-the-less...

One way to do it, regardless of which one you meant above, would be to
take an image editing program and split the big image into fourths, saving
each under a new name (so the original image isn't destroyed and to keep
them separate), and loading them into the activity corresponding to each
desktop (this assumes you have that option enabled, I don't) as you
normally would, in the appropriate order.  Thus the "(sort of)" above,
because it's not then really a single image any more, but four images, as
four separate activities would normally take, that in this case happen to
be related, as they're all parts of the same larger image.

If you're talking multiple monitors, it /may/ also be possible to setup a
single activity covering all monitors, depending on whether the xinerama
support was compiled in when kde was built, and on kde's multiple monitor
support settings.  However, I've never actually tried building kde without
xinerama support here so I'm unsure of how it behaves then.  I /expect/
that it'd configure multiple monitors as a single big display, disabling
all the multi-monitor support for window placement, maximizing, etc, but
it's also possible it would limit itself to a single monitor.  And if
there's an option to spread an activity over multiple monitors without
disabling xinerama support at build-time, thus disabling all the other
multi-monitor support features (window placement, maximizing to a single
monitor, etc), I've not been able to find it.   Plasma activity multi-
monitor support would seem to be behind the kwin curve, in that regard.