KDE4 desktop or panel shortcuts

Gere Kiss Zsolt zsolt.gkiss at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 11:21:08 BST 2010

Duncan, thank you very much for this long and exhaustive reply.

What DOES normally have a configurable icon is a *.desktop file.  These
> are plain text files (you can open them in a text editor and view/edit
> them as such) used by graphical desktop environments such as kde as
> application launchers, service descriptors, etc.  As such, they operate at
> the desktop environment level, well above the filesystem.  Each *.desktop
> file has a number of lines, most of them of the setting="value" format.
> For app-launcher *.desktop files, there will be an exec= line that points
> to the executable in question, a name line, often a short description and
> a long description, and, of interest here, an icon= line as well.  There's
> additional lines as well, and as implied, app-launchers aren't the only
> type of *.desktop file around.  As mentioned, you can edit this file
> (including the icon= line) directly in a text editor if desired, or, using
> a freedesktop.org desktop standards aware file manager (like dolphin or
> the folder-view, I'm not sure if thunar is freedesktop.org standards
> compliant or not), you can select properties, and edit them there.

Thanks, a very valuable information. I can make launchers with a text
editor, that's nice.

> > You can also make shortcuts by opening Kicker,
>
> FWIW...
>
> Kicker was the kde3 panel application.  In kde4, plasma (plasma-desktop)
> replaces both kicker and kdesktop, from kde3.  So kde4 doesn't have a
> kicker app.
>
> What I believe you're referring to based on the below, is kickoff, the
> menu launcher widget/plasmoid.  I eventually figured it out based on the
> context, but for a bit I was rather confused.  Why were you talking about
> kicker, when the subject says kde4?  To make it even more confusing, it's
> actually possible on some distributions that carry (or carried at one
> point) both kde3 and kde4, to run the kde3 based kicker while running an
> otherwise kde4 system.  I did it for awhile, while configuring kde4, one
> app at a time, to replace the kde3 version of the app with the same
> functionality.
>
> So please use kickoff when referring to the kde4 menu launcher, and kicker
> when referring to the kde3 panel app, and avoid confusing both people like
> me, when we think you're referencing kde3's kicker, and yourself, when
> someone ends up giving you instructions for kde3, not kde4, as a result.
> =:^\

I am sorry for my misunderstanding. I was glad that it worked as well;)
BTW: so much changes, new terms, new names for same functionality apps...
this might be a bit hard to follow. And may confuse, of course.

> > then selecting an
> > application, and on a right-click you'll get a context menu, with 'Add
> > to Desktop | Add to Panel' menupoints (thanks, Anne!). This will port
> > also the graphical icon, but I still don't know how to change/find
> > it...:(  Also, when added to the panel, can it be moved there? It seems
> > that no.
>
> Phani mentioned the properties thing...

WHAT? Here I do not understand.

> > Apropos: how can I add an application to Kicker? Can I navigate with
> > Kicker - or some other launching app. e.g. Lancelot - in the file
> > system, to find an app?
>
> Context/right-click on the menu-launcher (kickoff, lancelot, classic menu,
> doesn't matter) and choose Menu Editor.  Or type kmenuedit into krunner or
> konsole or whatever.

Many thanks!

> Unfortunately, some of the helpcenter documentation is still kde3 vintage,
> I believe.  As such, as you mention, not all of it will be helpful, and
> some may actually be seriously confusing if you don't realize how outdated
> it might be.  Reading it with the caveat that some parts of it may no
> longer apply, tho, it can still be quite helpful, as much of it /does/
> still apply, and read with that caveat in mind, the still-helpful parts
> can be picked out without the now obsolete parts being /too/ confusing.

And how can the user decide if some part applies or not? I believe that if
some kde3 descriptions do not apply, they should not be included in the kde4
documentation. If some components of a software are outdated, they are not
included in the release. This should apply to a documentation release as
well. When a user opens the KDE Help Center (for a given KDE version), she
expects to get information about THAT software, and not some other outdated
one. This kind of mess is very confusing and misleading.

Userbase is short for user knowledge-base, paralleling the devbase
> (developer knowledge-base), and similar in idea to the knowledgebases MS
> and others have.  Both userbase and devbase are available on the kde.org
> website.

Thanks!

> > Hi phani and Anne,<br><br>Thank you very much, it was really helpful!
> > Phani, you are completely understandable, no need to be sorry;)<br><br>I
>
> Please avoid posting in HTML when you post to the list.  Many regulars
> don't enable HTML parsing for security or other reasons, and may in fact
> filter such posts entirely, for security or spam-control reasons.

I am sorry, I did not include them intentionally. Perhaps it was the
clipboard copy and paste, which sometimes produces interesting behaviors.

all the best,
   Zsolt