KDE4 desktop or panel shortcuts

Gere Kiss Zsolt zsolt.gkiss at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 16:02:47 BST 2010

Hi phani and Anne,

Thank you very much, it was really helpful! Phani, you are completely
understandable, no need to be sorry;)

I succeeded finally to create shortcuts on the desktop, by dragging from a
file manager, like you described, phani. It makes them all right (I made
links to apps and documents), there is also a "Send To -> Desktop" context
menupoint in Thunar, fine. I just did not figure out how to select icons for
my links. I tried their context menu actions, their Properties, but could
not find any 'icon file' property.

You can also make shortcuts by opening Kicker, then selecting an
application, and on a right-click you'll get a context menu, with 'Add to
Desktop | Add to Panel' menupoints (thanks, Anne!). This will port also the
graphical icon, but I still don't know how to change/find it...:(  Also,
when added to the panel, can it be moved there? It seems that no.

Apropos: how can I add an application to Kicker? Can I navigate with Kicker
- or some other launching app. e.g. Lancelot - in the file system, to find
an app?

Finally, I am sorry, but I don't know what is a UserBase (?). I found the
instructions in the great 'KDE Help Center' (khelpcenter), which seems to be
the official help point on KDE. Unfortunately it does not help too much. The
only useful thing I found there was the pointer to this list;)

many thanks,
   Zsolt