Desktop effects with intel 945

David david.maillists at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 01:01:54 BST 2010

Good morning,

I am using Kubuntu 10.10 (maverick) and this happens both with the official
KDE 4.5.1 in ubuntu's repos, and with KDE 4.5.2 in ubuntu's ppa. Every time
I log into KDE, the desktop effects start suspended, I can re-enable them
with Alt + Shift + F12, but then the graphics slow down significantly. The
worst is with Firefox: when switching to another tab, the redraw takes
almost two seconds, and (worse), when jumping in a page (by searching with
Ctrl+F, or by scrolling with "Page Down"), the redrawing is often crappy
(some bits of the old draw overlay on the new draw).

Do you know whether this is a kernel, or xorg's intel driver, or KDE, or
kubuntu, issue? Do you know any way of not having KDE with desktop effects
run bloated and faulty (specially with firefox, but the slowness happens
with all windows in general)?

My card is "Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express
Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)", and the composition of Windows 7
runs quickly and flawlessly.

Thank you very much in advance,

David
PS: For convenience, can you please Cc any replies to me?