Kubuntu 10.10 - A New Low

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at arcor.de
Mon Oct 11 06:51:32 BST 2010

I installed the recently released Kubuntu 10.10 on a machine just to see
if Canonical got a clue by now on how to create a KDE desktop.

I wish I hadn't.  There's so much breakage even after 15 minutes of
using it, it's not even funny.  Fonts look *atrocious* because they're
totally unconfigured.  Guess what?  They look beautiful in Ubuntu since
there they've been configured correctly.  Of course not in Kubuntu.
Logging out of KDE leaves you with a screen of nothing and need to
reboot in order to log back in.  Of course on Ubuntu it works perfectly.
  Turning up the sound volume to 100% still results in sounds being
barely audible.  No problem with this on Ubuntu though.  Changing the
resolution from 800x600 to 1280x1024 only works temporarily; after a
reboot, it's back to 800x600.  Guess what, no problems with this on Ubuntu.

So I have to wonder: what the heck?  Canonical, please stop providing
Kubuntu completely, because it's obvious the people you picked to create
it are either totally incompetent or simply morons (because even if you
go with vanilla, upstream packages and don't try to "tweak" anything, it
works much, much better than this.)  Save users the headache and you the
embarrassment.

(No, I'm not an Kubuntu user.  Just wanted to check it out so I can see
whether I can recommend it to people.)