KDE 4.5 - Desktop files

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sat Oct 9 10:04:07 BST 2010

B.W.H. van Beest posted on Sat, 09 Oct 2010 10:13:10 +0200 as excerpted:

> Having said all this, with KDE4.5 I found that the time has finally come
> to definitively leave KDE3.5. I tried all the earlier ones and was
> disappointed again and again by the lack of usability. This is changing
> now, and I am looking forward to a next release, hoping that the (still
> many) inconveniences are further reduced.

Yes, 4.5 finally does come into its own in many ways, and I've mentioned
before that it's the first kde4 I can really recommend, as well as finally
being what I'd have actually called 4.0.  (The labeled 4.0 was serious pre-
alpha tech-demo material, 4.1 was early alpha, 4.2 late alpha or very
early beta as many features were still entirely missing or broken, 4.3
finally made it to decent beta quality, 4.4 was reasonable rc quality, and
4.5... finally made what SHOULD have been the 4.0 release.)

Too bad kwin has replaced plasma in being unstable and not really release
quality as it runs on a lot of hardware/driver combos (especially
freedomware xorg/kernel/mesa drivers for radeon and intel graphics
hardware, where the kernel and/or xorg and/or mesa aren't equally as fresh
as kde 4.5, as is often the case with people running non-rolling-upgrade
distros who upgrade only kde-4.5, not the corresponding kernel 2.6.35,
xorg-server 1.9 and mesa 7.9), but to a large degree, that should be
solved with 2H-2010 or at least the 1H-2011 round of distribution
releases, which will be testing and shipping the combined kernel/mesa/xorg/
kde product together, thus giving it at least /somewhat/ better combined
QA testing than the current kde-4.5 upgrade on an older base is getting
from those same distributions.