Forwarding html emails with kmail?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Tue Oct 5 04:20:17 BST 2010

Mike Diehl posted on Mon, 04 Oct 2010 12:32:51 -0600 as excerpted:

> I'm using KDE 4.4.2.  When I receive an html email message and try to
> forward it to someone else, what ends up getting forwarded is a text
> message without any formating.  Is this a known limitation, or am I
> doing something wrong?

AFAIK you're doing something wrong.

There's multiple types of forwarding.

It does appear that, at least as of kde 4.5.1 (with kdepim 4.4.6 since
kdepim 4.5 wasn't full-released yet and is still beta, kdepim 4.4.6
includes kmail 1.13.5), if you forward INLINE, even if you have your
replies set to HTML formatting, the raw HTML formatting appears.  (Note
that I only just checked how it appears in the composer.  I consider HTML
mail a bad enough thing that I wouldn't actually send it anywhere, even to
myself as a test, to see how it's actually parsed on receipt.)

However, if you forward AS ATTACHMENT, the whole existing mail as-is is
encapsulated in an attachment.  This will include all headers and all
existing parts (both attachments and text formats, plain and HTML if both
were in the original), nested as sub-parts of the new main attachment.

Forwarding AS ATTACHMENT is the preferred method for reporting spam, etc,
to abuse@ addresses and the like, because unlike forwarding inline, it
/does/ forward the whole thing as a unit, so all headers, etc, plus all
potential attachments such as malware, that might be necessary for
forensic evidence, is packed up and included.  Of course, because it
/does/ forward everything as a unit, it will by definition forward HTML
mail as such.