constant icon corruption on panel

Jerome Yuzyk jerome at supernet.ab.ca
Fri Nov 12 18:50:26 GMT 2010

Ever since I installed KDE 4 I've had corrupted icons on the Task Manager
panel and the hour/minute hands on the analog clock. I'm now at 4.5.2 and
still I reliably see the arms on the clock and icons on the TM panel look
like they're dithered or fractured. I don't see this in other places
throughout the UI so I'm wondering if this is an ongoing plasma issue. I've
turned off all the plasma eye-candy settings, and still get mashed-up icons
from apps like Kopete, KAlarm, KMail, and every analog clock I've tried.

Any ideas what I should look for? There are so many display-related
settings scattered all over that I have no idea whether it's the theme I
use, the icon set, video driver, or whatever. I have an nVidia 8400 card
feeding a Samsung flatpanel at 1920x1200 and use the nouveau driver, in
Fedora 13.