How Do I Launch KDE Desktop Environment from the Terminal/Command Line of a Regular User?

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at arcor.de
Thu Nov 4 02:18:28 GMT 2010

On 11/03/2010 07:54 AM, "Singapore Citizen Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang
Enming) 张恩鸣 " wrote:
> On 11/02/2010 08:01 PM, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
>> On 11/01/2010 02:32 PM, "Singapore Citizen Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang
>> Enming) 张恩鸣 " wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> May I know how do I launch KDE desktop environment from the
>>> terminal/command line of a regular user?
>>> Is it "exec startkde"? If not, please advise.
>>>
>>> I am currently using the GNOME desktop environment and I launch it by
>>> executing "startx" on the command line. I want GNOME to be my default
>>> desktop environment but launch KDE desktop environment whenever necessary.
>>>
>>> How do I go about launching KDE from the command line manually?
>>>
>> With startx.  Of course, you will have to tell your system to start KDE
>> instead of Gnome, since it seems Gnome is the default there.
>
> Which file do I have to edit?
>
> Thank you very much.

I guess it differs from distro to distro.  On mine (Gentoo), the
instructions are:

"If you use startx to start X instead of a login manager like gdm/kdm,
you can set the XSESSION variable to anything in /etc/X11/Sessions/ or
any executable. When you run startx, it will run this as the login
session. You can set this in a file in /etc/env.d/ for the entire
system, or set it per-user in ~/.bash_profile (or similar for other
shells)."