How Do I Launch KDE Desktop Environment from the Terminal/Command Line of a Regular User?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Wed Nov 3 08:48:56 GMT 2010

Singapore Citizen Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) 张恩鸣  posted on Wed, 03
Nov 2010 14:02:24 +0800 as excerpted:

> On 11/02/2010 09:00 PM, Kevin Krammer wrote:
>> On Monday, 2010-11-01, Singapore Citizen Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming)
>> 张恩鸣 wrote:
>>
>>> [H]ow do I launch KDE desktop environment from the
>>> terminal/command line of a regular user?
>>> Is it "exec startkde"? If not, please advise.
>>>
>>> I am currently using the GNOME desktop environment and I launch it by
>>> executing "startx" on the command line. I want GNOME to be my default
>>> desktop environment but launch KDE desktop environment whenever
>>> necessary.
>>>
>>> How do I go about launching KDE from the command line manually?
>>>
>> I think this should work
>>
>> startx -- /usr/bin/startkde

> Do you mean that I can run /usr/bin/startkde on the command line
> directly?

No, that means running startx, but with the commandline parameters

-- /usr/bin/startkde

However, by my reading of the startx (1) manpage (which could be quite
helpful to read), it would be without the -- , since startkde lists
clients, not servers, to start.

So if he's correct:

startx -- /usr/bin/startkde

If I'm correct:

startx /usr/bin/startkde

But as I said (and as you ACKed, so you at least saw it, but apparently
haven't had a chance to try it yet), here, I just set the XSESSION
variable appropriately, but other distributions may not be setup quite the
same and that might not work.