image caching in Konqueror 4.4.5

RW rwmaillists at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 1 23:03:00 GMT 2010

On Mon, 1 Nov 2010 13:09:10 -0600
Jerome Yuzyk <jerome at supernet.ab.ca> wrote:

> I always have to refresh to get the latest image, and that works.
> It's just that opening in a new tab or window uses the old cached
> image.
>
> The sample I noted updates hourly so to test you have to wait a while
> for a new image to be available.

Checking may actually be causing the problem.  The file's http response
has a Last-Modified header, but no explicit expiry header. In that
case the time between checks on the upstream cache or origin server
depends on how long the object has remained unchanged. By opening the
image repeatedly you give the browser greater confidence that it's not
going to change. Typically it's about 30% of the age, so about 20
minutes. Refreshing typically cause the browser to check upstream
immediately. I don't know the details of Konqueror, but that's how most
browsers and caches work.

It's also possible that there's been a change in your ISP's caching.