plasma-desktop (KDE factory) acting up?

Alex Schuster wonko at wonkology.org
Mon Nov 1 11:37:55 GMT 2010

Duncan writes:

> Alex Schuster posted on Sun, 31 Oct 2010 20:51:12 +0100 as excerpted:

> >> What I suspect but haven't yet verified is whether masking
> >> ~cairo-1.10.0, thus forcing a downgrade to cairo-1.8.10, suddenly
> >> resolves this bad comic- strip-plasmoid crashing issue!
> >>
> >> Perhaps you could try it and see?
> >
> > I did so and logged out and in into KDE. I tried all the comics,
> > including the 'Perls Before Swine' compic that never showed something
> > (BTW, could you try if this one works for you?), looked good. But
> > then, it finally crashed after some more playing with it. That is,
> > plasma-desktop crashed, not only this plasmoid.
> > BTW2, another annoying thing is that it doe snot keeps the size I
> > give it, and gets really small when I change the comic. I always
> > view them with the middle mouse button.
>
> So you were able to eventually make it crash, but it wasn't as
> sensitive to crashing as it seems with cairo-1.8.10?

Well, and now I just clicked ONCE in order to switch the comic, and CRASH!
I did not do anything with it before, after plasma was restarted
yesterday. So it seems this is as ramdom as before. Oh, and my konsole and
dolphin windows are suddenly all vertically maximized.

> I guess I'll have to roll back cairo myself, and see if it helps me
> too. If it does, we're likely onto something!

Don't think this will help much...

That's it for now, more when I have more time.

	Wonko