KDE SC 4: The good, the bad, and the broken

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Thu May 27 14:52:08 BST 2010

Christian Mikovits posted on Thu, 27 May 2010 14:34:46 +0200 as excerpted:

> Mmmh, who's using konqueror / khtml anyways?
>
> 1. Some websites are completely broken (google maps, gmail, ...)
> 2. Some sites are usable, but there are ugly rendering problems
> 3. flashplugin is crappy within konqueror (its malware anyways)
>
> khtml is dead end (sorry for the developers), some distris are already
> on their way to switch or already switched from konqueror to rekonq or
> others. I don't really see the point of sticking with konqueror as a
> default browser.

While I still run konqueror by default, I actually agree with you (except
on #3, flash is proprietaryware so not something I'll even consider
running, not that I could agree to the EULA, so I couldn't run it legally
even if I did want to, so N/A on that point).

But konqueror is still the kde default, and as long as that remains the
case... really, it actually reinforces my point that kde is simply not
ready for ordinary use.

rekonq looks very interesting, tho I've not tried it myself.  But
according to the blogs of its own authors, which I read (in akgregator
=:^) via the kde-planet feed, they don't consider it ready for default
yet, tho the same blogs make it obvious they're preparing for it.

Meanwhile, that reinforces the case for making certificate management a
general kde function, part of kcontrol aka (kde 4.5 apparent rename,
according to screen shots) personal settings, aka (kde 4.0-4.4 name,
inaccurate and inappropriately generic tho it is) system settings.

BTW that's another personal grip of mine that's apparently fixed in 4.5,
according to early post-freeze reviews/screenshots.  Still can't really
google "personal settings" to any effect, so it's still impossibly generic
(unlike kde3's nicely googlable "kcontrol"), but it's definitely more
accurate than "system settings"!

But back to certificate management.  It has been argued, and I can't
disagree, that the proper place to manage those would be kde's control
panel (whatever it's called). kmail and kopete apparently use the same
general kde certificate infrastructure as konqueror, and presumably rekonq
does, or will, as well.  So putting it in kcontrol does make a lot of
sense, tho I'd certainly embed a UI-trigger to invoke that kcm in all the
various apps that use it, thus solving the "IE and firefox instructions
are app specific, where's the konqueror/rekonq version?" problem in the
compromised banking certificate example I used earlier.

Meanwhile, one of firefox's big bonuses has been its extensions.  Many
have switched to it because of them, and while I haven't actually switched
my default browser, I'm close to doing so, because for example, knowing
precisely which domains I need to allow scripting on to make a particular
page work is *SO* much easier with noscript, than with anything konqueror
offers.  But firefox has a big enough userbase that trying to catch up or
keep up with all the functionality its extensions enable is a practically
Sisyphean task, at least for a single browser, ESPECIALLY for a single
browser with the share of konqueror or rekonq!   But there is yet hope!
Every since webkit started getting so much use and publicity, I've been
suggesting that its browser users cooperate with a common extension spec
(and secure vetting and hosting), such that users from most of the webkit
based browsers could use extensions built for all of them.  Chrome/
chromium now has an extension spec that's similar to firefox's.  I really
haven't the foggiest what Safari might be doing, but I'd strongly suggest
that rekonq work hard at supporting the same extension spec, so at least
it's not trying to go it alone, as konqueror did.  (Konqueror had/has an
extension mechanism, but how many of the relatively few konqueror users
are even aware that it's there?  There's simply not the necessary userbase
to develop the healthy user contributing extensions community that firefox
has, and that chrome is definitely shooting for!)

So, come kde 4.6 or so, rekonq will likely become the default kde browser,
and with dolphin already taking over konqueror's former default file
manager position, konqueror, if it continues to be developed, will fall
into the shadows much as krusader is.  (krusader, talk about a name with
unfortunate connotations in much of the world!)  We'll see how that goes.
I really do hope rekonq comes on strong.  KDE certainly needs it!

But meanwhile, there's a very real need for a working encryption
certificate management system today, either as a konqueror config tab, or
better yet, as a kcm, but either way, without it, how can kde seriously
consider itself ready for ordinary use, when they'd have no real response
to give in the face of a high profile banking or other certificate
revocation.  None!  And that's simply unacceptable, especially when kde
itself is continuing to promote the internet connectedness many have
today, in the form of plasmoids and otherwise.