KDE SC 4: The good, the bad, and the broken

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Thu May 27 13:01:13 BST 2010

Dotan Cohen posted on Thu, 27 May 2010 13:37:20 +0300 as excerpted:

> Some people think that KDE 4.0 is KDE 4, and they need to know that KDE
> 4 _is_ ready for end users now.

I'd still say no, it's not.  With 4.4, it's definitely getting close, it's
at the -rc stage and can in fact be used, but it's still not quite there
yet.  As I predicted some time ago, 4.5 should do it for the most part,
with the kdepim/akonadi caveat, and, it appears, with the certificate
caveat below.  (Tho I've read that 4.5.0 won't get that, but the blog that
said that suggested 4.5.1, even tho micro releases are normally bug-fix
only.)

Among other things, activity management is still confusing in 4.4, with
the activity manager in the early 4.5 screenshots appearing to do for
that, much of what the 4.4 widget browser did for plasmoids, except it's
needed even more as the current zoom interface is even less familiar to
most.

Also, where's the encryption certificate management?  At present, if my
bank announces that one of their active certificates was compromised and
is revoked, how am I as a user supposed to do anything about it, and how
am I as a user supposed to have confidence in a system that claims to be
ready for normal use, without giving me any way to fix it?  How can /any/
modern desktop environment include a default browser without proper
certificate management, and /still/ claim to be ready for ordinary use, in
this day and age of Internet banking and shopping?  No way, KDE 4 simply
isn't ready for ordinary use yet, and I've /no/ idea when that bug's going
to be fixed.  Come on!  I don't care if it's fixed at the browser or
system level, but while the current situation is arguably just fine for a
beta, and could possibly be justified under extenuating circumstances for
a release candidate if there was a definite plan for a fix, it's simply
/ridiculous/ for anything claiming to be ready for ordinary use!  Browser
or kde-wide, just fix it, or learn to live with people laughing and/or
crying at your claim to be ready for the masses!

Unfortunately, it's as if kde thinks they can just wink at such issues.
Maybe if the reviews started mentioning it, or God forbid, some bank
actually DID have a compromise that made headlines, with instructions to
fix it in firefox and ie, and kde was left saying "Welllll.... our 'ready
for ordinary use' desktop doesn't include that functionality yet, maybe in
six months, with the next release...  Oh, but don't forget to put in the
same PR announcement, we're *DEFINITELY* 'ready for ordinary use'; that
feature isn't something people actually use, anyway!"

See how utterly ridiculous that is?  So can anyone tell me, is that fixed
for 4.5?