menubar section of KDE's HIG needs rethinking

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Mon May 24 17:37:11 BST 2010

Jakob Lehmann posted on Sun, 23 May 2010 16:17:28 -0600 as excerpted:

> The KDE Human Interface Guideline (HIG) declare, that a menubar is
> mandatory for every single application, quotes:
>
> "Provide a menubar in every application main window"
> "Don't make the menubar 'hideable', users may not easily be able to
> make the menubar viewable again"

[I didn't read the entire post, just quick-skimmed it.  I'll leave it
marked unread to come back to and read in depth later.  So this isn't a
detailed response.  If I feel the need after the later full read, I'll
respond in more depth then.]

FWIW, one of the IMO /good/ things about KDE is that it takes a reasonably
sane stance toward its HIG.  After all, the G is /"Guideline"/, and unlike
some projects, that's exactly what KDE treats it as, a /guideline/, not
some set of "Thou shalt" commandments from on $DEITY.  Individual app devs
have always been free to do other things with their app.  I believe for
apps that ship as part of KDE SC, they need to provide some sort of
reasoning behind it, but of course, KDE is now even more strongly
encouraging independent devs to build on its technology, and being just
that, independent, they are free to develop their app as they see fit,
entirely ignoring the HIG if so desired.

That said, I'd certainly disagree with "Don't make the menubar hidable".
In fact, I'd set it up so the menubar widget provided in kdelibs provides
that service on its own, so devs have to actively disable that support in
ordered to prevent it being hidable.  Similarly with tear-off menus.
Support should be built-in, and devs should have to go some way to
deliberately disable it if they're using KDE's widgets, if they for
whatever reason don't like the feature.

Keyboard shortcuts and shortcut remapping should work similarly, and I
think they actually do, to some extent.  One of my frustrations is with
apps that don't fully map their functionality to the shortcut config
wizard, as I'm constantly coming across functions that I want to map
shortcuts to, that simply aren't listed, so I can't.  (I've not looked at
what the HIG says for these.)

So obviously I agree, the HIG needs updated, but fortunately, things
aren't as bad as they might be, because unlike some projects, KDE does
tend to have a reasonably sane attitude about its HIG, treating the /
guidelines/ as exactly that.