PPPOE tool

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Mon May 24 10:03:39 BST 2010

On 05/24/10 00:51, Madhurya Kakati wrote:
> On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 12:47 AM, James Tyrer<jrtyrer at earthlink.net>  wrote:
>> On 05/21/10 19:35, Madhurya Kakati wrote:
>>> HI,
>>> I use the latest version of kde on archlinux. I use pppoe-start in
>>> konsole to connect via pppoe mode. Is there and kde tool to do that??
>>> Like in ubuntu(gnome) i right clicked on network on upper panel to
>>> configure and connect via pppoe. Is there any way to do that same in
>>> kde?
>>
>> AFAIK, there is nothing in KDE-4 although you can use NetworkManager and
>> the GNOME applet for it which is compatible with KDE.
>
> you mean nothing?? o_O

Although there is nothing *in* KDE-4, there is KNetworkManager which is
a KDE front end for NetworkManager but it is still under development (it
is in ExtraGear) and not yet included in KDE.  Although, I think that
some distros have packages for it.  If your distro has a package for it,
you can try it if you want but remember that it should be considered
Beta software.  My recommendation would be to use the start up scripts
unless you need to connect and disconnect your PPPoE connection.  My
experience with NetworkManager has not been 100% although I did manage
to get it to work.  You might have PolicyKit configuration issues.

You still need to have your start up scripts correctly configured for
your NIC since there isn't a static device for eth<n> -- something has
to tell the Kernel that it exists.  To use NetworkManager, the start up
scripts have to find, but not start the NIC.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch