Phonon + PulseAudio Problems, Debugging?

Fabian Köster koesterreich at gmx.net
Thu May 20 12:30:05 BST 2010

Hi *,

I am currently trying to use Phonon and PulseAudio and have some troube
getting them to work together.

_Yesterday_ I had the following situation:

When I play some Video with a Non-KDE application like VLC everything is
perfectly directed to the local PulseAudio running on my machine and i have
the expected sound-output.

But when I use a KDE-Application like Kaffeine or Amarok there is no sound
output although the stream is listed by pavucontrol. The volume-indicator for
the stream does not show any activity.

_Today_ I deleted the file .config/kde.org/Phonon-Xine.xine.conf and now I get
the following situation:

VLC is still working as expected but now Kaffeine or Dragon do not play at all,
after a second the video stops and it says
[mpeg4 @ 0x92c3f20]Invalid and inefficient vfw-avi packed B frames detected
when started in a terminal.

Padevchooser does not show any stream from KDE-applications any more.

In Systemsettings->Multimedia the only listed device is "PulseAudio-Sound-
Server"

Can anybody please help me or tell me how to debug Phonon properly?

Thanks in advance,
Fabian