Problem with KDE and LTSP

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Tue May 18 09:23:02 BST 2010

Hi Thierry,

On Monday, 2010-05-17, Thierry Dumont wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We have a problem with kde and ltsp (Lightweight Terminal Server
> Project). We posted a message explaining our problem on the ltsp mailing
> list, but, possibly, the answer is more KDE related (possibly).
>
> Our problem:
> We cannot open KDE sessions on the ltsp thin clients, but everything is
> ok on the consol of the server. Other sessions we have tried (gnome,
> xfce) are ok on ltsp.
>
> We use the last Ubuntu version (10.04 LTS).
>
> We have to servers:
> -the terminal server is an i386 machine
> -the "working" server on which users connect is an AMD 64.

So the first machine is where the software is running and the second one is
the workstation (client of the first one)?

> We have some hints in the .xsession-errors file:
>
> klauncher: Exiting on signal 1
> kded4: Fatal IO error: client killed
> kglobalaccel: Fatal IO error: client killed
> ksmserver: Fatal IO error: client killed
> kdeinit4: Fatal IO error: client killed
> kdeinit4: sending SIGHUP to children.
> kwin: Fatal IO error: client killed
> kdeinit4: sending SIGTERM to children.
> kdeinit4: Exit.
> Unexpected response from KInit (response = 0).
> startkde: Could not start ksmserver. Check your installation.
> Error: Can't open display: localhost:11.0
> Could not connect to D-Bus server: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoServer:
> Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-qLWdFjKRUB: Connexion refusée
> startkde: Shutting down...
> kdeinit4_wrapper: Warning:
> connect(/home/bidon/.kde/socket-damysos/kdeinit4_localhost_11) failed: :
> No such file or directory
> Error: Can not contact kdeinit4!
> startkde: Running shutdown scripts...
> xprop:  unable to open display 'localhost:11.0'
> xprop:  unable to open display 'localhost:11.0'
> startkde: Done.
> kdeinit4: sending SIGTERM to children.
> kdeinit4: Exit.

I am bit puzzled by the "localhost:11.0" output.
It looks a bit like an SSH tunnelled X session.

If you look at the last few lines, even basic X11 tools like xprop seem to
have problems connecting to the X server when run inside the environment
startkde is run in.

Can you login with a "failsafe" session, e.g. just an xterm showing on the
client machine and then run startkde inside that xterm?

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring