improvement of konqueror as file manager

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sat May 15 15:09:26 BST 2010

xPol posted on Sat, 15 May 2010 14:56:42 +0200 as excerpted:

> On the bottom frame of the konqueror window, the file name, the file
> type and dimension in KiB of the file icon the pointer is hovering are
> displayed.
>
> I would like the read-write privileges to be displayed as well. Is that
> possible?

Version, version, version.  What version?

In practice, the venerable konqueror is being phased out.  It's file
management duties are being taken over by dolphin, while the venerable
khtml side simply can't keep up any more on its own and is likely to
ultimately be replaced by the webkit-based rekonq.  (Yes, webkit is khtml
based, but with khtml going it alone, and everyone from google chrome/
chromium to apple safari to kde rekonq to qt-webkit to... using
webkit...)  Meanwhile, most kde folks use firefox for at least some
browsing, and many use it as their default browser.

That said, konqueror remains for the time being, because rekonq isn't
ready yet, and some people still prefer it for file management as well,
even tho with kde4, it's really the dolphin kpart that konqueror is
wrapping.

But for all we know, you're still using konqueror/kde 3.5, or possibly
even earlier, and if it's a 4.x version, it could be anything from a 4.0
pre-release to 4.4.3 current release, to 4.4 branch, to 4.5 branch to
trunk/head.  That's a LOT of ground to cover!

And assuming something close to current 4.4.3, which I'm running here,
even then, I don't see any such mentioned bottom frame here, in .  What
view mode are you in, etc?

But yes, while my default icons view doesn't show permissions, if I select
view, additional information, permissions, it does indeed show file
permissions along with filenames.  That's just one of several options for
additional information.

OTOH, defaults here show only one frame, and while I can turn on the
sidebar and command line, when I do, the command line is the bottom
frame.  To show permissions in the bottom frame in that view, you'd type
ls -l. =:^)  So the profile you're using and how it's arranged, for
reference to "the bottom frame", would be useful information.  Or a
screenshot...

However, as best I can tell from the limited information you gave, and
assuming a kde 4.4 series konqueror, you should be able to simply toggle
view, additional information, permissions, and you'll have your
permissions displayed.